Kid-Friendly Potatoes for Adults!
This dish is one of my mother’s creations and is so easy to make, and so delicious! It’s an almost guaranteed hit with most kids, as well as adults. Stop reading here if you don’t like potatoes or corn!
- 5 red skinned potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet corn
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- Add the oil to a warm pan and sauté onions until golden brown.
- Next, add cumin seeds, followed by the potatoes. Sauté on medium-high until potatoes start to become soft.
- Next, add the turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, and optional chili powder. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 3 minutes on medium heat. Add corn and half of the chopped cilantro. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes until corn, tomatoes, and potatoes are cooked well.
- Remove from heat and garnish with remaining cilantro.
Note: I microwaved the cubed potatoes on high for 4 minutes in a bowl of water to help soften the potatoes and reduce the cooking time. It’s a good shortcut.
This is a great side dish and can be enjoyed with rice, puri, or roti. My kids popped it into pita pockets and had it as a sandwich, my wife had it with rice, and I had it with roti!! Kids, and adults like the sweet flavor from the corn, accompanied by the taste of cilantro and the variety of herbs and spices like cumin and coriander. Try it out and see how you like it!